Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bourbon Jelly Vodka Martini

I am a fan of the true martini -- yes and that means I enjoy an excellent vermouth in it whether I am having a gin or vodka martini.  As for gin, my favorite is Hendricks garnished traditionally with a slice of cucumber.  For vodka, I typically buy Rain Organics and keep it in the freezer.  It's a terrific and inexpensive choice.   Martini's are generally 2 parts gin/vodka to 1 part dry vermouth.  For other variations of martinis replace the vermouth with other flavors (dirty martini's for example use vodka and olive brine; gimlets are gin and Rose's Lime Juice (although I prefer fresh squeezed with a splash of simple syrup).

In the heat of the summer, I enjoy a nice crisp martini.  Having run out of vermouth, I tried the following combination, which made a delicious martini that was both spicy and slightly sweet.

For a single martini,

     1 teaspoon bourbon jelly
     1 oz dry white wine of your choice (I used sauvignon blanc)
     2 oz vodka
     3 Tipsy Onions for garnish

First mix the jelly and wine together thoroughly.  Pour the mixture and vodka over ice and shake vigorously.  The Tipsy Onions are pickled and can be found at many gourmet markets.  I got both the Bourbon Jelly and Tipsy Onions at Curds & Whey in the North Market (Columbus, OH).  If you haven't been there, It's quite a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spicy, Ecclectic, Veggie Friendly