Sunday, December 14, 2014

Steel Cut Oats, slow cooked

Steel Cut Oats
slow cooked overnight
About 2 months ago I decided I was going to like oatmeal.  I'd had it.  Oatmeal seemed like something I should like, but it was always bitter and had an odd texture and gelatinous nature that I just didn't like.  Every time I tried it, I found it inedible.  Keep in mind that I really do not like sweet flavors, so adding maple syrup, honey or sugar was not going to make it more palatable. 

With the slow-cooker craze, I started to see "crock pot oatmeal" and I started thinking about it, which developed into reading recipes and a final search for a small crockpot so I could make a batch overnight.  I even had a can of steel cut oats in my pantry that had been there… for years.

I started working on my recipe and finally settled on something really delicious that I top with fresh berries, bananas if I have them, chopped almonds and a bit of homemade cranberry sauce.  I even found a cute little 2 qt  crock pot with a ceramic bowl and glass lid at Target for $11.99.


This recipe makes enough oatmeal for two and can be doubled in the very cute little crock pot.  Left over oatmeal can be refrigerated for the next morning or even frozen.  You could multiply this batch and make it in a large crockpot for your family or reserve for later in the week. 

Prep time: 5 minutes; cook time 8-10 hours

COOKED INGREDIENTS
1/2 c steel cut oats (well worth the money)
1 1/2 c water (you may want to reduce the water slightly, but I'm finally settled on this volume)
1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or milk, soy milk, or your favorite sweetened flavor -- they all work)
~ 2 T butter or soy garden spread, softenend
1 apple, chopped in 1/2" pieces
1 T turbinado sugar (a rounded soup spoon works fine)
1 small pinch of salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1-2 star anise

TOPPINGS (optional)
1 c fresh fruit (this is a great way to get your berries in your diet)
1/2 c almonds, chopped (walnuts are great, too)
dollop of not-too-sweet cranberry sauce
dollop of plain yogurt
maple syrup
local pure honey

RECIPE
Drop the butter or soy spread into the crock pot and spread to coat the sides of the pot.  Put the remainder of the ingredients in the pot aside from the star anise and stir briefly.  Gently lay the anise on the mixture, cover and set your crock pot for low.  Cook for a minimum of 8 hours, but you can cook it for up to 10 hours without a problem.  

Open the lid and remove the star anise.  Neither the hull nor seeds are particularly palatable, but they do add a wonderful licorice flavor to the dish.  Mix the oatmeal through.  If you scrape down to bottom of the pot, some of the oatmeal may have cooked to the sides of the pot.  I find those browned scrapes particularly delish… reminds me of oatmeal cookies.  

Dish up the oatmeal and top with your favorite toppings.  You will not be sorry. 

Here's a shot of the cute little Crock Pot I bought for $11.99 -- it's a great deal and made of the same  ceramic and glass as my high quality large Farberware slow cooker. How fab. I have the tablespoon sitting by it to give you an idea of scale.  This little pot would be great for queso dip or fondue, too. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Spicy, Ecclectic, Veggie Friendly