Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tip of the Day: Make your own broth

A simple vegetarian broth:
  • One quart of water
  • One carrot, chopped in a couple of pieces
  • 1/2 onion, skin on
  • 2-3 stalks of celery
  • pinch of salt; pepper; 1 bay leaf
Boil for 30-45 minutes and strain with a metal strainer or cheesecloth (for a clearer base). Use as the base for any soup.

For variety, save the veggie scraps from prepping in quart bags in the freezer (I regularly have fennel fronds, zucchini, onion and garlic skins, green bean ends, cabbage trimmings, asparagus ends, etc in containers in the freezer). Pop a bag in with the traditional broth ingredients.

If you eat shrimp, you can freeze the shells to add great flavor to any broth for seafood stews or chowders.

Finally, if you would like to make your own homemade fish broth for a traditional cioppino (not for the squeamish), go to your local fish monger and they'll provide you with appropriate ingredients (okay, bony parts). If you fish or buy whole fish and clean it yourself, this is a good use for the head. It's also a good use for a really bony but delicious fish (like trout) if you run out of patience with deboning them.

For a nice cioppino, you might also add some root vegetables, such as parsnip for the creation of the fish broth.

(and no, I don't eat chicken or beef, but I think you can use your imagination and get there...or google)!

4 comments:

  1. Wow--this is GREAT! It is just what I need to start to incorporate new, fun things into Alec's diet--it is SOOO hard to find new foods, since he is allergic to so many things, and this can be the base of so many new dishes! I can't wait to try it--THANK YOU so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara,

    Thanks for posting. I saw your post on Pamela's site and thought I'd get some fish things up for you. I was vegetarian for about 18 years and then health issues forced me to get protein from more direct sources. I cook many different fish styles...

    What flavors does your son enjoy? Veggies? I can post a couple of things for you.

    Kindly,

    Lainey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lainey,

    Wow--thank you so much for anything you can post to help me out with Alec's diet--he's 4, by the way:) He loves Salmon and Tilapia, but does NOT like cod. That is all we are going to keep him on as far as fish, for the moment.

    He doesn't like anything cooked with any kind of crunchy or crusty feel--like if I overcook the fish, I have to cut the ends--typical 4 year old! So veggies can't be crunchy for him.

    He has mildly accepted broccolli, and likes cooked carrots and very cooked spinach. He likes lemon with the salmon and allspice, thyme, garlic.

    These are foods he can NOT have:

    milk(or anything like cheese, yogurt)/egg/sesame/nuts/peanut/garbanzos/sunflower/meat/fowl/honey/maple syrup/

    He doesn't care for squash, tomato, or potato (but I have hopes for potato!)

    Well, you can see what I have to deal with here--he is also 4, which makes it hard to intro new foods.

    I wanted to ask--I wonder if you had a measurement/ingredient list with the fish stew recipe--Alec saw a character on a cartoon eat fish stew and wants to try it! Most I find have stuff he is allergic to in it, and this doesn't appear to!


    You are a doll to help me. I want to try and get as many good foods I can in his diet when he is young:)

    Thank you so much!
    ♥Cara

    ReplyDelete

Spicy, Ecclectic, Veggie Friendly